Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Monday, January 16, 2012

Christmas Eve at Aunt Karen's

Christmas is absolutely my favorite time of the year - hands down. It is a time to focus on family and celebrate the season with those you love most. It is a time for reflection and remembrance of times past and to recognize traditions old and create traditions new.

This year's Christmas had a different focus than on year's past... it was about the kids. And so, for requesting that we just purchase gifts for the little kids, I was lovingly called "The Grinch" by my dear brother. So, the Grinch made an appearance that night at Aunt Karen's... not just under the tree, but in places unexpected.

Aunt Karen's beautiful display of family photos and my boys pointing to their Great Grandma Helen and Great Grandpa Freddie... whom they recognize and know by heart even though they never met. They are the reason that we are all here today. Although they aren't here to celebrate with us any longer, they are always present in our hearts and among our Christmas Eve traditions.








And, as I mentioned before... family. My beautiful family. All of those people that I love with all of my heart and soul.











(notice the shirt?? i said the Grinch appeared in unexpected places)





Thanks to Aunt Karen for hosting Christmas Eve and for always making us feel welcome, comfortable and at home. If we can't be at my grandma and grandpa's house for Christmas Eve any longer, her house is where I would want to be. I am thankful that my boys will grow up making memories at their Aunt Karen's house. Even if those memories include running around buck naked, getting chased by their cousin Janika as they all three scream at the top of their lungs like girls!

No comments: